Monday, December 22, 2008

on the road. again.

my sister has informed me her family is moving. again. she got married some years ago and moved to wisconsin. then they moved to north carolina. then onto georgia. they currently live in kansas but not for long. i really think they are gypsies but they just won't admit it. i didn't even know my sister owned red, sparkly shoes let alone kicked them together. i can only assume the looming threat of being blown to smithereens had a hand in the decision. they are now finding their way back to north carolina. they can let me know when they move back out of north carolina so i can come and visit them again. i hate it. you see, there was an incident back then that has been burned in my brain and i will never forget it. hence, the ban. as far as i am concerned there are only 49 states in this great nation. before they moved there the first time i had bought my brother-in-law a smoker for christmas. i thought before our visit was over we could smoke a turkey breast. so, off to the store i go with my mother. we searched high and low for a turkey breast but couldn't seem to find one. now, you need to realize that my mom is the queen of finding things. when i was younger her favorite thing to ask me when i couldn't find something was 'where did you look, the ceiling?' we were quite confident that they didn't have any but wanted to ask to make sure so we approached the meat counter to inquire. meat counter lady slowly walked over to her right, pointed and said 'all you got to do is looook.' i almost did a one-armed hurdle over the meat counter and punched out what was left of her teeth. i think my mom even held her hand out a little as she knew what i was thinking. i wanted to reply with 'all you got to do is visit the dentist twice a year.' see you in a few years, kari, we will miss you.

1 comment:

  1. And so it must be told, you were in the mountains. To mountain folk fast food means you don't have to scrape up the roadkill and fix your own fiddles. Be prepared to wait twenty minutes for a meal at Wendy's. Park and go in or park in the drive thru; it's all the same speed. It's true mountain time on the East side of the states.

    As a former resident I can assure you the same is true for all services. For example, Pizza Hut was just three miles away, but their service didn't come to our side of the mountain. The trash man had a pick up at 10AM Wednesday. He came the following Monday at 3PM. I ask, "weren't you coming Wednesday at 10AM?" He says, "I'm here now. You want the service?" Since the only other business was two and half hours I said, "Wow, I'm glad you came early."

    ReplyDelete