Thursday, March 19, 2009

driving miss crazy

i have known my friend moho since the seventh grade. little did i know she would later try to kill me. three times. that i know of. the first time was on nurmi drive in midland. i am not sure why but it is the only drive within the city of midland that is still not paved. i don't remember the circumstance of our jaunt down this road in high school. i use the word jaunt because i am quite certain we were not obeying the posted speed limit of twenty-five miles per hour. anyway, before i knew it my feet were on the dashboard, we were spinning around and there was dust. everywhere. when the dust settled and the coughing stopped there was moho. bright, beautiful teeth grinning ear to ear and laughing that evil little giggle. i must not forget to mention we were in a chevette. yep. the smallest car ever made at the time. i am not sure if her parents ever drove with her. if they had i am sure they would have chosen a larger vehicle. the second time was, again, in high school. We had driven to saginaw to go shopping. or something. on the way back we were merging onto a highway. apparently, the car in front of us wasn't going fast enough for moho. so, she passes them. on the entrance ramp. going about one hundred ten miles per hour. in a chevette. the third and last incident that i am aware of took place in cadillac. on the ski hill. i am petrified of heights. petrified. moho assured me we wouldn't go up the big hill. i should have know better. she said this isn't the big one. but as we made our way up the slope i felt short of breath. because there is less oxygen when you get up that high. and it was the big one. surprisingly, i made it down the hill in one piece even though i was still shaking. and short of breath. from lack of oxygen. when we were at the bottom moho motioned for me to go over by her and try a run. the run with caution tape across it. the one that said do not enter. the one that hadn't been groomed since 1983. the one the chunks of snow were the size of basketballs. yeah. that one. i don't know how we made it through but we did. and we ended up at that same lift. the not so big one. and there was no where to go but up. the other day i was catching up with moho. she hasn't changed much. just a bigger car. she got a ticket in cleveland for aggresive driving. she ran not one but two stop signs in nashville. and ran another stop sign in baltimore. with her boss in the car. and this is just since the beginning of the year. yes, it's only march. she will always be my friend. but i refuse to let her drive when i am in the car. anywhere.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, and you forget the time skiing when we three were on the chair lift ... and Moho slides forward in preparation to dismount ... and slipped on the chair seat and we had to grab her to keep her on the chair long enough to dismount ... and one of her poles ended up down below the lift somewhere!!! This incident is part of why I have so much grey hair!!! Fortunately I've never been a passenger in her car or I'd be snow white by now!!! Gran

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that you mention it i do remember. she sure knows how to live on the edge. or over it in that case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on a work conference call so I thought I would catch up with your posts and I am laughing so hard I am crying. Thank goodness the phone is on mute and I don't have to say anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In addition, I was laughing so hard my dog thought something was wrong and kept nudging me to see if I was OK.

    ReplyDelete