Monday, March 16, 2009

good year

yesterday, on my way home from wal-mart, a song came on the radio. big surprise. it brought me back to 1986. i remember the year well. at least one week of it. my dad was being inducted into the national softball hall of fame. in hawaii. we couldn't have asked for a better location that year. any other year it could have been any number of cities. thankfully, logansport was out of the running. anyway, the song was true blue. by madonna. i don't know if the song came out in 1986 but it was one of the selections on the music channel for the earphones the airline offered. do you know how many times you can hear one song on the way to hawaii? about 4,675,921 times. and that is just on the way there. the return trip is remembered for another incident. after a week of sun, snorkeling, watching tom selleck film a scene for magnum pi and literally running in to bob hope in our hotel lobby it was time to come home. my parents stayed there a few more days but sent us kids home after a week. by ourselves. on the flight home i was trying to sleep. only after a delicious on board meal. yes. they actually offered food at one time. the flight attendant came by and asked if i wanted fish or chicken. i said chicken. she said we are all out of chicken. and handed me the fish. i was thinking if they were out of chicken why did she even ask. back to my nap. suddenly i felt something by my nose. now, my head was tilted back on the seat with no room to move. so when i flinched my head went forward. all at the same time i felt something go in my nose, i opened my eyes and see my sister. apparently, delirious from sleep deprivation. or loss of cabin pressure. she was holding one of those fruit wrinkles by my nostril. why i don't know. so when i felt it i had nowhere to go but forward. so it went up my nose. i do know that i haven't eaten one of those since.

No comments:

Post a Comment